For complete story, click here
Northwest Sustainable Dairies
With initial funding from the United States Department of Agriculture and other local sources, this work aims to encourage and promote consistent practices and communication between different interest groups both within and separated from the Northwest dairy industry.
Northwest Sustainable Dairies was developed with help from dairy farmers, veterinarians, dairy professionals, university professors and extension agents, milk processing cooperatives, and others.
Northwest Sustainable Dairies is to establish standards for management practices on Northwest dairy farms that
- protect the welfare of the animals in our care;
- contribute to enhanced environmental quality;
- encourage superior quality in the milk we produce;
- facilitate positive working relationships between farm management and farm labor; and
- lead to the efficient and responsible use of diversified sources of energy.